Photo by Folu Eludire on Unsplash

Gamification aligns well with my teaching philosophy of making complex and often dry chemistry content accessible, achievable and ENJOYABLE!

It was enjoyable for me to learn about gamification technologies like Twine and get to play around with them myself.

Although, what I developed is not a game per se, but more a tool to help students decide which type of reaction mechanism is occurring in any given reaction by answering questions. It is like a chemistry dichotomous key.

The decision making process and concepts outlined in the Twine are front and centre in my CHEM 2120 course and I feel as though this tool will allow my students to practice looking at the “clues” in the reaction to help them “solve the mechanism mystery”, which is a fundamental skill they should leave CHEM 2120 having learned.

I also really enjoy the idea of having students develop their own game to demonstrate their understanding of a course concept. This is an assignment I would like to incorporate in future courses I teach.

To play the game clock on the link below:

https://faculty.tru.ca/twine/mechanism_mystery_.html