Why do I want to teach with technology? 

Technology is becoming an inherent part of our society, and we need to embrace it or get left behind. As an educator, it is my responsibility to prepare my students for the workforce, which currently, inevitably contains technology. Therefore, it is my responsibility to equip my learning spaces with appropriate, ethical technologies. 

My teaching philosophy centers around making complex science content more accessible, achievable, approachable and enjoyable. Technology allows me to achieve each of those things in my classrooms. 

Technology:

• Allows me to meet students where they are
  • Allows students to interact with information in a variety of different ways
  • Provides opportunities for connection amongst peers as well as between myself and the learners
  • Makes learning more fun 
  • Provides greater opportunities and access to students with varying needs and/or learning styles
  • Personalizes the learning experience
  • Encourages individual learning 
  • Facilitates teamwork and collaboration 

Technology is an amazing tool that is constantly evolving. It can enhance learning for so many learners. In a study conducted by McKinsley & Company, it was found that 60% of students said that all the classroom learning technologies they have used since COVID-19 began have improved their learning and grades (CITE). 

I am not trained in education nor technology, so I decided to take this course to equip myself with the tools necessary to incorporate technology effectively and ethically into my learning spaces. This course will expose me to interesting new technologies available to me and my learners. Additionally, it will provide me an opportunity to learn from my peers as well as technology professionals at my institution.