You cannot defeat an enemy you do not know

Ethics is such a significant part of our society and profession as educators. However, it is not discussed nearly enough, especially the ethical use of technology in education. I am trained as a chemist, so when a discussion of ethics of teaching with technology arose, I felt out of my depth. There are so many things to consider when implementing technology in your classroom: privacy, digital inequality, digital addiction, bias and discrimination, intellectual property rights and commercialization of data, none of which I had ever thought of before taking this course. 

Being introduced to the ethic of care was enlightening to me. A message from our discussion that really stood out to me was “the vulnerable people most impacted by a decision should have the loudest voice”. I have been actively working towards including more technology in my instructional practices without ever considering the impact it may have on my students, whom are the most vulnerable people impacted by its implementation. I never stopped to ask a student how they felt about using different technologies, submitting their work online, being required to access content through online interfaces etc. This message also made me think back to when I was a student and I thought nothing of having to submit work online or having to sign up for online accounts to complete projects, because I did not know better. This, in turn, sparked a thought in me about how we are educating our students and youth in online safety, copyright, creative commons, intellectual property, digital inequality etc. I think the most important ethical issue in teaching with technology is the lack of education to instructors and students about the safe and ethical use of technology. We cannot do better if we do not know better. 

We cannot tackle the large ethical issues of privacy, digital inequality, intellectual property and commercialization of data if we are not aware of them. We need to start conversations about these issues with fellow instructors and students so we can learn from each other and readily available resources while discussing their solutions. I think Rebecca Brown said it best, “You can’t fight a battle you don’t see or know exists. You cannot defeat an enemy when you don’t even know he is attacking you.” 

• Ethics of Teaching with Technology

You cannot defeat an enemy you do not know Ethics is such a significant part of our society and profession as educators. However, it is not discussed nearly…

• Teaching Philosophy

We have all had teachers who have impacted our lives; Mrs. Smith, my fourth-grade science teacher, was one of mine. She loved science and was so passionate about…

• Self-Evaluation #1

• SlidO – In-class polling

Photo by Kenny Eliason on Unsplash Slido is a great tool for polling your students, testing their knowledge, assessing how comfortable they feel about content and making democratic class decision about…

• h5ps – a great way for students to self-evaluate

Photo by Christina @ wocintechchat.com on Unsplash h5ps are such a wonderful tool to allow students to assess their knowledge interactively and participate in their own learning. I have enjoyed learning…

• Self-Evaluation #2

Photo by Sincerely Media on Unsplash

• Gamification – Twine

Photo by Folu Eludire on Unsplash Gamification aligns well with my teaching philosophy of making complex and often dry chemistry content accessible, achievable and ENJOYABLE! It was enjoyable for me to…

• Why I want to teach with Technology

Why do I want to teach with technology?  Technology is becoming an inherent part of our society, and we need to embrace it or get left behind. As…

• Ethics of Teaching with Technology

Ethics of Teaching with Technology

• Teaching Philosophy

Teaching Philosophy

• Self-Evaluation #1

Self-Evaluation #1

• SlidO – In-class polling

SlidO – In-class polling

h5ps – a great way for students to self-evaluate

• Self-Evaluation #2

Self-Evaluation #2

Photo by Sincerely Media on Unsplash

• Gamification – Twine

Gamification – Twine

• Why I want to teach with Technology

Why I want to teach with Technology

• Ethics of Teaching with Technology

Ethics of Teaching with Technology

• Teaching Philosophy

Teaching Philosophy

• Self-Evaluation #1

Self-Evaluation #1

• SlidO – In-class polling

SlidO – In-class polling

• Self-Evaluation #2

Self-Evaluation #2

Photo by Sincerely Media on Unsplash

• Gamification – Twine

Gamification – Twine

• Why I want to teach with Technology

Why I want to teach with Technology